Wednesday, March 4, 2009

New Life

The title of today's post is fitting for 2 reasons. First, this is the beginning of "The Crazy Goat Lady" blog. Second, we have new life on the farm!

Last evening I had promised to take the kids (2 leggers) to the mall. Having a gift card to spend was just driving someone crazy, so I agreed that as long as none of the goats looked like they were in labor or suspicious we'd go. Off we went, shopping was completed and we were just going to stop at Tim Horton's for a bite to eat when Jim called to say that "I think there's babies in the barn!"

Uh oh! Turns out that Nougat did a surprise delivery on us, she wasn't actually due for a few days. 2 nice bucks, one of which I'm planning to keep. So, I pulled them to bottle raise, not sure of her CAE status yet. Went out first thing this morning to find K in the midst of delivery. She did quite well for a first timer, 2 nice doelings. I'm leaving them on her, she is second generation bottle raised with CAE prevention.

Had to bring them all inside to make sure they were good and dry. It's been frigidly cold here this week, and I don't want to lose any ear tips to frostbite. Maddy (the Great Dane pup) is quite interested on what those small, noisy critters in the mudroom are up to. They're all back out in the barn now, doing well.

Dixie and Baco are due next..

No comments:

Post a Comment